Saturday 25 August 2012

Idea Development

This is just some idea development from my point of view - me and Reece haven't gone over any further ideas of the narrative or what we're doing for the music video since we talked the other day; we're still yet to get Barry's opinions.
I've been thinking positives and negatives of the song we've selected - it's up beat, so sort of dangerous from that perspective, dark, sad and tense is relatively easy to do, we learnt that last year - that's all we did apart from our comedic trial, yet that was a complete disaster, so I think I personally realise the potential dangers that are afoot here. Then again, we're looking at different elements of media and complete different conventions. Like I said to Reece in a conversation, why would it nessciearly have to be reflecting the atmopshere of the song? Why can't it be light and dark at the same time? Those elements of teenage angast that are going on in the song is the strong working point, the drive to the narrative.
So, we already established that we're going to have a girl / boy prespective, which in reailty we haven't seen much in terms of convetions nor examples of. I think the closest I've seen is Jimmy Eat World's - The Middle where it's like a happy boy girl ending at the end, yet it always seems theres a prodomiant focus on male prespectives of 'fantasy' or 'narrative' so maybe this is going to be the main driving point of our narrative. We know that it's going to be that incident where two people notice each other but never do anything about it until a certain point, so it would be a good high to end on the song due to its general tone and feel of being 'up-beat'. It's got that typical summer feeling, things you did over the summer, experiences. So I'm thinking it will be about noticing each other, imagining doing things, becoming obsessed from a distance - so at the same time, its almost unconventional in respects it takes some of the lyrics out of context. But why not? It's a challenge worth looking at. In terms of narrative development, I haven't really thought of much, I like to work together as a group so that we can all work and share ideas, or better develop what we all have and mould it to a point where we all understand what's going on and not just one person. I've defiantly thought of an ending, it's sort of influenced once more by The Middle but at the same time this song is prime for this sort of location/setting/mise-en-scene/scenario: parties. The ending party, that whole little section with 'I'll never forget tonight' is another party, yet completely different from the original one at the beginning. This is where The Middle, comes into effect - when evaluating it I noted its stylised look, the colour, the effective glamour it had to it, thus glamorising the party, so I thought we could do something similar. As expressed in a few previous posts, for some of the parties I was thinking dark rooms, and why not - lighting is a good element to explore, and I was tempting to play with the camera's to see how well they pick up glow in the dark in a lights-off room - it would be something unique and something that really draws that 'fantasy' element out, as well as the convention of presenting something genuinally grand at the climax or end of the music video. It's just a thought that I'm still developing, though I'm thinking a lot into the type of camera work we're going to give out here, and other styles.
Another second thought was live performance - I'm sort of worried about location. Are we going to maintain conventions or do something completely different? Yet we've all agreed we're going to have live performance, ta least that way we have something to cut up narrative and drive it along to different parts and fill those bridges in the song, so a couple of locations I already had on mind was dark room with lights, outside, house party situation (though this would be extreamly challenging), obscure-nothing-in-particular room with a lot of close up emphasis or a whole shoot from my idea for the final party in the music video, if we can get the people, get the mise-en-scene and get the coordination for one night, it would be doable but that's all determined on the reliability of others, the availability of others and accessibility as well as time of location.

No comments:

Post a Comment