Thursday 6 September 2012

Plan of action

So this is basically my plan of action for the next few weeks or basically the end of this half term. I realise that I've more or less completed my research - though, there's always room to look into more stuff briefly later on, such as specific styles of shots or examples of narrative and audience. My personal (not group target) is to finish shooting by the end of this half term, this gives me about 7 weeks which can be easily divided up. For a rough plan for now, this will mean that planning will have to be completed, a narrative written, storyboard, possible live action storyboard, actors, locations and props will have to be planned over the coming weeks. Given the time it took us to shoot DECIPHER, my AS project from last year, we gave ourselves 2 weeks to film and we had more then plenty of footage, so we can work on a similar time scale, if not a bit bigger as we're aware we're probably using more locations. This means weeks 1-3 can be spent planning, gathering what we need and finding prime locations and getting images of them to work with, as well as drawing the storyboard and producing a production list. This would leave us weeks 4-7 to film before blackberry week; if we don't meet this deadline, we'd have to extent over the half term holidays as I am in a residential camp with the northern stars film academy for the week - viseversa, this also limits the time we have each week as I am there every Saturday also.
These are just my personal ambitions, but with my group, we'll talk this through and create a production time scale and see how close we can stick to it, last year we were dead on and often finished before our deadlines due to organisation.

Whilst we will also have to think how we're going to in cooperate the themes of our music video into digital packages and a magazine, we can also consider the effects of branding whilst creating a music video. For an alternative rock music video, branding can be achieved rather simply due to the general conventional styles, but mise-en-scene can also be in-cooperated in the same way with the use of band clothing to give it that extra push. I already had a quick look at some CD covers, and I pointed out the illustration that seems pretty influential in the genre group - this in relation to the music video can be achieved simply as a single or album by the use of similar colours to the music video (particularly as I was having some ideas of having it quite stylized) or with similar images to what's displayed in the video. Alternatively, during live performance or the audience/party scenes of the video, we can also take some images and see what we can do digitally to them. It's the basics of continuously considering audience whilst we make the video more will allow us to easily translate this into stills and style for the product side of things.


What's rather prominent to me however is the challenge. I want a challenge from this project, I want to push myself further and see what I can do visually as a camera operator or even editor as that's the area I'm mostly interested in - I want to explore what I can do and push myself to improve from last year and create something that's unique; that's why I've been considering creating a stylized video. I think from last year a lot of the shots were okay, but I want to refine the type of shots and the quality of them also, but have not a generic narrative, but one that twists and turns and explores, something that isn't expected really.
Already in comparison to the work I produced last year, I feel my research is a lot stronger as I constantly become aware of audience reception which is something that I'll have to in-cooperate into my work more this year, I don't think I really considered audience whilst creating the introduction last year, we didn't do audience tests and I think because of the genre we've chosen this year (alternative rock) its spear headed a lot towards my age group, which is prime for sixthform. It wouldn't take long to run around sixthform with a video camera showing people rough cuts, though thoughts on idea conception can be hard as I think people need to visually see something first for there full response.
This year, I'm more aware that I'll have to be more considerate about technical areas and how narrative, representation and audience tie together and contionously have to consider what exactly I'm doing, how am I / have I used the cameras this year? Sound isn't a problem for the music video unless we decided to do a narrative break, so we can really focus on the visuals we're creating, and editing also comes into that mix, what can I teach myself to do that I didn't last year? Special effects seems possible, certaintly after exploring the dammned things as they had such basic yet great effects - so much so, I felt influenced by them! This also runs into creativity, like when I was exploring the possibilities of a UV or glow in the dark party for the live performance, but this will also certainly be apart of the narrative, how do we do something different?

I think all in all, I'm already beginning to improve subconciously as I always want a challange, I want something to drive me; my research work, I personally feel at least, is more in-depth and considerate of audience as well as a general conception of what I've analysed so far as compared to last year. Though my rough cut for counting crows was okay, it was also the first time I tackled a music video in a limited space of time, and I'm already trying to think of intersting places and locations instead of generic classrooms and generic narrative and themes.

Just for comparison later, these are some of my previous work from last year:

http://katiesawesomeasmediablog.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/adobe-after-effects-cs4.html
Showing some editing (even recording myself doing so) would just be something to show the process of work.

http://katiesawesomeasmediablog.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/further-analysis-of-dark-knight-opening.html

http://katiesawesomeasmediablog.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/media-location.html
- this year I think we need more diverse locations, as this was the only one that wasn't in school, this of course, will promise complications such as availability, weather and time of day (this is why it will be better to shoot before the end of october before winter sets in)

http://katiesawesomeasmediablog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/rough-cut.html
- I think this year when we produce some rough cuts, its defiantly worth recording some reactions

No comments:

Post a Comment