Thursday 18 October 2012

Story Development






Script / Scenario
Lyrics:
All the, small things / True care, truth brings / I’ll take, one lift / Your ride, best trip
Always, I know / You’ll be at my show / Watching, waiting / Commiserating
Say it ain’t so / I will not go / Turn the lights off / Carry me Home
Na, na ,na –
Late night, come home / Work sucks, I know / She left me roses by the stairs / Surprises let me know she cares
Say it ain’t so / I will not go / Turn the lights off / Carry me home
Na, na, na
Say it ain’t so / I will not go / Turn the lights off / Carry me home
Keep your head still / I’ll be your thrill / The night will go on / My little windmill
Say it ain’t so / I will not go / Turn the lights off / Carry me home
Keep your head still / I’ll be your thrill / The night will go on / My little windmill

Intro to verse:
(Night performance): The video opens with a high 3 shot of the band playing the intro for 2-3 seconds before cutting to a montage that follows the teen-male character running through the streets in desperation (exterior night) to an unknown location (this is linked back at the end as he finds the female teen and they resolve their ‘isolation’). Cuts continue to exchange between the live performance and the narrative.
The narrative should jump to a slow-motion party, where he is walking around isolated (the actual beginning) close-up to mid-close-up shots should be made whilst cutting between the teen-male and the teen-female character at the party; he cannot find her. Cuts are made between the narrative and the band.
Verse Intro:
‘’All the, small things’’ – Iconography shot: close-up shot of lead singer, (day) teen-male character now at school, emphasis on isolation as he moves between class, extreme fast-motion of the day passing – cuts to band again – notices teen-female character in class. Exchange in close-up shots again, jump to live performance and back. Notes are passed between them, emphasis on notes.
Up to ‘’Na-na-na’’ emphasis on isolation is made, whilst in school.
‘’Turn the lights off, carry me home’’ male-teenage character walks home alone under street lights.
Chorus:
‘’Na-na-na’’ – back at party scene, abstract shots of taking pills, alcohol (other themes) more continuous cuts to live performance. Continue shots of alone, build up to the party, he notices this girl more and more where he is. Some abstract shots of ‘working’ – e.g. store clerk or something (this would only take a couple of minutes to shoot if we got it right). Drinks before party, abstract shots, flowers on stairs, messy room, etc.

Solo/climax:
Range of slow-motion shots and sped-up shots as he arrives at the party, abstract shots of alcohol, drugs, and couples together, he continues theme of isolation. Comes back to original point again of him noticing the girl at the party, they go upstairs and ‘sex theme’ – abstract / suggestive shots whilst cutting out to live performance continuously. After emphasis on this, ‘the night will go on’ goes back to running scene where he is chasing her, ends with them together under lights walking home e.g. resolved happy ending.

1 comment:

  1. It would be useful to have a storyboard sorted for the video, since it's clearly quite a complex idea. Also, I think you should make sure that you are checking/ commenting on Reece and Sean's blogs in order to make sure you are up to speed with their thinking. Remember - all the planning should be locked by the end of the week; you should really be into production ASAP.

    ReplyDelete